Monday, July 4, 2011

Fourth of July, P-Guay Style

Life in Villa Madrid is moving right along-up and down and fast and slow as usual but I have more or less adapted to the pace and taking a stroll with my puppy to pass some time doesn’t bother me like it did just a couple weeks ago. Have a particularly lindo puppy such as mine is a great way to meet children and adults alike. Also, the fact that I have him on a leash tends to puzzle people and provoke a lot of conversations I probably wouldn’t have ever had. The most common questions I get are what breed he is (couldn’t tell you, a seven year old boy gave him to me) and, what his name is. I had named him Rugger originally, but since that got more confused reactions from Paraguayans than anything else, and because I had recently finished the entire Rocky series that I had newly purchased, I decided Rocky would be more fitting name for him. This is a much easier name for people to say and some people even know the movie reference so consequently, I’m meeting more and more people and have more people to wave at on my route around the barrio which is a nice feeling. So, despite the slow and frustrating way work goes sometimes, I am feeling more and more at home here. Talk about ways you never thought you would appreciate Sylvester Stallone...

I survived my first pique attack! Pique is a notorious insect that lives in the sand and burrows into your hand and feet with the purpose of laying eggs and reproducing. Its super common among volunteers and Paraguayans alike (it’s shocking I’ve been here for five months (?!) and haven’t gotten one before) and in order to take it out you have to use a needle or tweezers to squeeeeeeze it out. But, you have to be really sure to get it all out or it will continue to hurt and be gross. Luckily, I had a Paraguayan at my disposal to help me take it out so, my pinky finger nail lives to fight another day.

It’s San Juan season here in Paraguay. The past couple weekends, all the local high schools and churches have been holding San Juan festivals which include a lot of food, traditional dancing and music, and of course the ever popular repertoire of San Juan games. Things like sack races, tire races, and other kids games are played all over the place. There is also a lot of fire involved. A hang man stuffed with mini bottle bombs is lit on fire hanging from a tree, and there is even a cow skull (that the kids in the community have to go searching for in the fields and bring back) that they attach to a bunch of sticks, light on fire, and run around and chase little kids with. All in all it’s a really fun and lively festival and a great distraction from the COLD COLD weather we’ve been having here.

To celebrate the fourth of July, a bunch of the volunteers came into Asuncion for some rest and relaxation and to try and remember what it’s like to be American and be warm during the month of July. We ate more food than we should have, took hot showers just because we could (sorry environmental volunteers) and slept late sin verguenza. There was a big picnic at the US embassy with a lot of good food and games and people and as usual we ended up at “Hollywood”-the epicenter of Asuncion’s gay scene. So, for the 6th (?) year in a row, my Fourth of July was filled with techno music and flamboyant friends/drag queens. However, that was about as fourth of july-ish as the weekend got considering it was still VERY cold and well, there weren’t a lot of Americans.

For all my Sayvillian friends/anyone with access to the Suffolk County News: I wrote an article! It should be in there in the next couple weeks- con photos tambien!

Lovin you all, Happy Fourth-Some one drink a blue points for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews